Thursday, September 09, 2010

Love Languages

The description in 1 Corinthians 13:3-7 describes what love IS, perfectly.

If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.

Therefore, that must also mean love is NOT a "feeling." It is a verb. An action. It is what you DO.
God designed 3 types of love and 5 love languages.

The 3 types of love are:
EROS: commonly known as erotic or romantic love
PHILOS: a friendly or brotherly love -a la Philadelphia (the city of brotherly love).
AGAPE: unconditional-the love a parent has for a child and God's love toward us.

Next, come the LOVE LANGUAGES.
Love languages are how we interpret and express love that is both given and received.
1-WORDS OF AFFIRMATION
You experience someone's love most when they encourage you and speak words of affirmation
2-QUALITY TIME
You experience someone's love when they simply spend time with you and make themselves available
3-RECEIVING GIFTS
You experience someone's love most when they express it with physical gifts.
4-ACTS OF SERVICE
You experience someone's love most when they take on some of your responsibilities and do things for you.
5-PHYSICAL TOUCH
You experience someone's love most when they hug you or just hold your hand.

You can take a quiz, found HERE, that helps you identify your love language.

My love language is Words of Affirmation, followed quickly by Quality Time. These two are biggies to me and anyone who has spent a lot of time with me could probably guess them. Alison and Wayne's language is Physical Touch so they get LOTS of hugs!

Even if you show someone else how much you love them using YOUR love language, they might not experience the depth of love you're trying to express. Express your love for them in THEIR love language and watch them light up and your relationship improve. I think everyone should figure out what theirs is and what the love language is of those they love!

1 comment:

magKNITficent said...

My aunt gave that book to Josh and I before we got married - its really amazing.