Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Day 14: 1992

1992

My 13th birthday: at this point in my life I was in full puberty swing - the weight gain, the acne, all the things that make this time so awkward. I compounded this by still having a pretty flashy wardrobe of colorful clothing (why didn't anyone take me to GAP??) and at this particular party by having the worst sunburn ever.

In what can only be referred to as a science experiment gone wrong, the weekend before this party I learned the different effects of the sun based on your location on the planet. I'd never been to the beach in Florida, but had lived on the beach in New Jersey. You can stay out all day at the shore in South Jersey applying sunscreen just once, this is not true in Florida where you are much closer to the Equator.

This trip certainly drove that point home - I'm a sunscreen crazy now.

---

No-kea for me today. The more I watched the news last night, reporting the growing crowd gathering at the new IKEA for the grand opening today, the more anxious I got about the whole thing. Would I even be able to get in?? Would there be parking?? Would Emily make it through the morning without a nap??

So in the end, I decided to just wait and go with Wayne this weekend.

No comments: