Monday, October 02, 2006

Secret Pal 9 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I love all things superwash, or machine washable in general. I’ve had one too many things get felted accidently, so know all knitted items have to be machine washable in our house. I’m especially taken with ArtYarns Supermerino – it’s so soft and comes in great colors. I also enjoy knitting with Cascade 220 and Noro Silk Garden for felting projects. KnitPicks Shine Worsted is wicked nice to work with too. And cheap.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

My straight needles are in two separate handmade needle rolls, divided by length. My DPNs are in a Clinique makeup bag. My circs are in their original packages, stacked on the side of my knitting basket (they really need a home). And my hooks are in a short, plastic tube that most of them came in.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I’ve been knitting just over 2 years. I originally learned in 2000 from my Mom. We went on a family trip, driving from Florida to Maine, and I needed something to do. We stopped at a WalMart and I picked up some needles and yarn and proceeded to make the most God-awful “scarf” the world has ever seen. I was discouraged and gave up, never really learning what I was doing. A couple years ago, the February issue of Martha Stewart Living included instructions on how to knit and I re-taught myself. I’ve been going strong since then. I would say I’m an intermediate to advanced knitter. I’ve matured past the scarves and more scarves stage, I’ve knit socks, I can knit cables and bobbles, I haven’t tried lace, but I don’t think I have the patience for it.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I have a wist:
http://www.wists.com/megaknits

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

I like light scents, like citrus and green apple. I also love ‘clean linen’ scents. I wear Clinique Happy and Bath and Body Works Coconut body spray.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Yes. But I’m also diabetic, so I have to limit my sweets, or make sure that they carry a bit of protein with them. I’m a big fan of fun-size candybars. I love chocolate. I love caramel. My favorite candybar is MilkyWay, but a Snickers is better for my bloodsugar. I love plain and peanut M&Ms. My favorite color M&M is green.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I make cards and have a ridiculous collection of rubber stamps. I tried spinning, but Wayne told me he’d just pay for me to buy yarn.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

Here are some bands I like: the Fray, Indigo Girls, Sarah MacLachlan, the Killers, Dashboard Confessional, Audio Adrenaline, Jars of Clay, Switchfoot, you get the idea, right? And yes.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

I like blues and greens. I love black and wear a lot of it, but not in a goth way. I really like pinks. I’m not a fan of yellows and oranges, but can dig them as accent colors. I like some browns, as long as they aren’t too yellow.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I have two great kiddos, Alison is 4 and Emily is 3 months old. I’m married to the love of my life and we also have a dog named Brewski.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Not really, I’m in Florida and it gets cold here for about 2 hours a year. I could maybe rock a hat, but flip flops are much more appropriate.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I like to make little sweaters for my girls – they’re whole garments, but knit up lots quicker than adult stuff. I also discovered the joy of knitting socks this summer.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Christmas presents. Socks. Washclothes. A sweater for me. About to start a sweater for Wayne.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

I love handmade gifts.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I am a die-hard fan of Addi Turbo circular needles. I buy them from some guy in Taiwan thru ebay for cheap.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I have a swift, but no ball winder.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

Maybe a month or two. I will either finish or give up so nothing sticks around too long.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas. I love how people’s attitudes change for the better around the holidays. How they’ll go volunteer at a soup kitchen or donate a bunch of old clothes.

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Lately it seems like I collect sock yarn. But besides that, nothing really.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I’m going to revist this question. I don’t subscribe to any knitting magazines, but would love to.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Ooo, I want to learn Magic Loop. And how to knit one sock inside another.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Yes. Length = 10.5 inches (tip of big toe to back of heel); Size 10 shoes.

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

June 12th

No comments: