Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Woah Nelly!

We had a beautiful weekend here in sunny, but not too hot yet, Florida. Wayne took Friday and Monday off and we ended up having a lot of family fun.

Friday: We spent the morning at the movies watching Shrek the Third - not the #1 choice of part 3 movies I wanted to see, but Ali's too little for Pirates. I maintain that the first Shrek movie was funny and that no subsequent films should have been made. But the gingerbread man makes it almost worthwhile.

Saturday: Letterboxing Gathering!! We met up with some Central Florida 'boxing friends at Hontoon Island State Park. There were cooties and hide n' seek boxes that made the rounds while we exchanged stamps with our new friends. The cutest were pencil topper cooties.

Group photo - note Ali and I making the same silly face, we are not a family of many silly faces. This is the go to face. :)

We had the baby backpack so soon after we arrived, the four of us headed out to find the 2 boxes not on the Nature Trail. First box, no problem, everyone was happy, it was a short hike. Hooray! Second box, different story. I didn't read the clue as thoroughly as necessary and we wasted a lot of time looking around off the wrong trail. Wayne intervened and got it sorted out though and hooray again! However by this point we were like 2 miles from our starting point and none of us had brought any water.

We started back and I stopped to look for another box that was on the way back telling Wayne we'd meet back up at the campsite (1/2 way back). I gave up on the box pretty quickly, desiring water more than the box, and hustled to catch up with Wayne. But Wayne wasn't at the campsite, so I hustled some more to catch up with him.

I am not a hustler.

By the time I made it back to the pavilion I was wiped out. We rested a bit and ate a little lunch - the famous Target sandwiches. We got to meet a few more 'boxers who'd arrived late. And in order to be able to leave at a decent hour, we headed back out to find the 6 boxes along the hiking trail.

At this point, I'd like to mention that we had walked close to 5 miles. All I had eaten all day was 1 piece of raisin bread and half a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread. One of the basic things you learn when you're diabetic is that the more you exercise, the lower your sugars go. For instance, when I cycle, I bring a carb-rich snack and eat it halfway through my ride. I very rarely go low.

We started out the hiking trail and I wasn't feeling 100% but figured I could tough it out. About a mile in, Ali was starting to complain, I was starting to ache all over and we decided to start back (so we wouldn't die in the woods), no boxes found. Wayne said we could always go back another day. We sat down to rest and when I stood up I was seeing spots. I didn't say anything, but tried to keep my head down and put one foot in front of the other. Low, low sugar.

I made it to the end of the nature trail, but just barely. Wayne and the girls left me at the end of the trail and went back down the road to the ranger station to have someone drive out to get me. The ranger came quickly and Wayne had a Coke for me when I got back. After a lot of genral confusion and Coke drinking, we said our goodbyes and headed home.

Needless to say, I will not hike almost 7 miles in one day again without a lot more sugar. It took all day Sunday to recover all the way. Ick.

Monday: Swimming and BBq with my parents and then Eve's goodbye dinner. Yummy food, sad sad occasion.

Not a lot of knitting, but a little more progress on Wicked, a little more progress on my Sockapalooza socks. I was also having some tennis elbow issues which have slowed me down - I think that was caused by the stitches getting too tight on my circ for Wicked, now I'm knitting it on 2 circs which is a lot more comfortable.


limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Glad you're ok after that incident. Looks like a lovely weekend, though! : )

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like quite a weekend! I just wanted to let you know I am packing up a box for your last goody shipment! I have to wait for one last mail order, then it's ready to go!

Your Pal!