Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Home: Recipes, Pt. 1

I've been trying to be more domestic lately. Partly because we've been wicked busy and the price of gas and I feed my family a lot more healthily (is that a word?) than a restaurant. Mainly, 'cause it's cheaper.

Last night I made Tuna Noodle Casserole, but in a way that my Mom never did. Here were the things I had to deal with: Wayne hates celery = no cream of celery, I hate musrooms = no cream of mushroom.

So I substituted cream of broccoli and cream of chicken and I thought it was lovely. Wayne argues that if you're going to use cream of chicken, use chicken - but it's a chicken-heavy week here and I didn't want MORE chicken.

Anyway, here's the resulting recipe:

1 bag of egg noodles
1.25 cups of 2% milk
1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
1 can 98% fat free cream of broccoli soup
2 cans tuna, drained
salt
pepper
garlic powder
1 cup potato chips (baked if you've got 'em), crushed

Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Cook noodles until al dente - kind of undercook them so they don't get overcooked in the baking part. Combine everything else in a big bowl. Drain noodles and mix together with everything else. Put in a baking pan and sprinkle with potato chips. Cook about 30 minutes or until potato chips start to brown.

Extra things you can do: Mix in actual broccoli! Add cheese!

Enjoy! :)

No comments: